A one-day workshop on halibut bycatch mortality in non-target fisheries (including mortality of sublegal fish in halibut fisheries) will be held in Seattle, WA on Tuesday September 29th, 2009. The exact location and times for the workshop will be announced at a later date. The workshop will be held to review issues associated with how bycatch mortality is estimated and incorporated into the assessment and management of Pacific halibut stocks. Among the topics to be covered at the workshop are:
- Review of current and historical levels of halibut bycatch mortality
- Review of historical methods by which the Commission has accounted for bycatch mortality in management of the halibut stock
- Methods of estimation of bycatch mortality in non-target fisheries
- Incorporation of bycatch mortality estimates in the halibut stock assessment and harvest policy
- General impacts of bycatch mortality from non-target fisheries on halibut productivity and yield
- Impacts of non-local bycatch mortality on fisheries yield of individual IPHC Regulatory Areas
- Progress on bycatch control and management in other jurisdictions
- Methods for reduction of non-target halibut bycatch mortality in the northeast Pacific Ocean
The results of the workshop will be made available to the participants and will be posted on the IPHC webpage.
If you are interested in attending this workshop, please notify Laura Black (voice: 206-634-1838 ext 201; fax: 206-632-2983) by July 31st, 2009.
- END -
Bruce M. Leaman
Phone: (206) 634-1838
Fax: (206) 632-2983